Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Project 3: Concept

Theme

For the final project, I'm going to make a 4k piece that explores the bridge between compact formats and large cinema formats. While large formats push for a higher data rate and larger resolution, technology in many devices and platforms want  (Admittedly, many new mobile and portable devices have been released recently with support for better resolutions.) But in reality, quality is something often overlooked by a viewer in exchange for convenience.

In order to create a connection between the standards, I want to take the small and attempt to scale it up to the impossibly large. I'll turn "small" videos into large "objects." adding weight and volume to them, and have them interact physically in space. My main interest, besides using content ironically, is to label the large cinema space as a space of the visual spectral. The commercial film market capitalizes on computer driven visual effects, so I want to pieces to blatantly emulate this. I'm no special effects hater, I just like addressing the intersection between mass media products and art.

Source

Usually content scales to smaller formats. A commercial product is created in generally the highest accessible format, and then scaled down for distribution on DVD, TV, web, and mobile devices. I want to start with content that is at the lowest end of the quality spectrum and scale it up.

I'll use youtube videos that are 480p or lower. I wanted to find videos with very few views that represent popular streaming video genres (we discussed those in class.) Although I think that popular "viral" videos would have worked as well (and there would be some satisfaction in fragmenting them) those videos have been thoroughly remixed and reused already. They also may make the piece seem more of a comment on the videos themselves, and not viewing technologies.

The piece overall should be fairly absurd, will low quality sources being displayed on high resolution tech, in addition to pointless destruction of the physicality of the images and the frame. Chaos for the sake of chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment