Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Project 1: Concept


For the DIY/appropriation project I will be utilizing footage from popular media, the Harry Potter feature films. For the video, entitled Harry/Potter: The Brand Who Lived, I plan on going through the entire collection of Harry Potter feature films and recutting them to only include mention of the Harry Potter brand. I will be taking any segment of the movie where the words "Harry," "Potter," or "Harry Potter" are audible. The reason for this extreme reedit of eight films is to call attention to the commercial aspects of the films as well as comment on online video remix conventions.
Harry/Potter is an absurd take on a reediting of narrative films. In removing all aspects of the film except mentions of the brand, I will be using repetition to mirror the mass produced culture based on the brand. The Harry Potter franchise, originating as books, has dominated several realms of mass media, including film, video, and interactive entertainment. It also works as branding for merchandise. Due to the pervasiveness of Harry Potter branded goods, and the advertisements for those goods, The Harry Potter brand is familiar to a majority of people in the developed world. I want to use the familiarity to exaggerate brand emphasis using  the very products the brad has created, the feature films.
I also want the project to function as a comment on the youtube/viral genre. In taking predetermined phrases out of the films (based on two words,) I am "remixing" in a mundane manner. In other words, if a shortened version of an original is considered an internet remix, let this consist of a systematic and absurdly simple premise: remove the titular line.

No comments:

Post a Comment