When creating this project, I will be using a decent amount of source material. Each feature film runs about 120-150 minutes. Because I am working with so much material, I need a system to manage what qualifies as usable material, and the best way to get it.
Step 1: Download Content
I don't have any of the films on physical media, so I acquired them through bit torrent. I will be using 720p source videos at a decent quality bit rate. Since the final output is streaming video, I don't need to be too concerned with the original quality of the content.
Step 2: Convert to Editable Content
I used AVS Video Converter (http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-converter.aspx) to reencode the .mkv files to a more editable friendly format, .mp4. I kept the bitrate, resolution and FPS the same, but downgraded the 5.1 sound to stereo, as streaming video sites only support two channel sound.
Step 3: Extract Audio/Video
This is the biggest step in the process. I go through the entire films, creating subclips for each time a character says "Harry," "Potter," or "Harry Potter." I will also cross reference the movie transcripts (http://thepensieve.org/movieframemain.html).
Step 4: Refine/Remove Subclips
Go back through the subclips, refining them to only include the desired audio. This also allows for removal of bad or problematic clips, where the audio can't easily be read out of context.
Step 5: Place in Timeline
This involves placing the refined and "ready" subclips to the timeline. This step is where artistic choice really comes into the project for the first time, as I can greatly alter the final piece by how I decide to place the order of the clips.
Step 6: Refine Timeline
Once the clips can be viewed continuously next to each other, another pass is required to equalize audio and/or soften the attack or fade of the audio. Also allows for experimentation.
No comments:
Post a Comment